VILLAGE OF PORT CHESTER
Office of the Acting Village Manager
Over the last year the Village of Port Chester has done its best to help you, your families, and your businesses endure during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Without question, this pandemic presented our village with an incredibly difficult test in many aspects, but in a true testament to our resolve, we met those challenges head-on and came out the other side much stronger. We now begin to prepare to move forward, together, with the opening of our village government as we also work to usher in a new season of programming and dial up the availability of our departmental services as best we can and in a most organized manner.
However, before such an endeavor, we must physically re-open our government, first. In lockstep with our Board of Trustees, I announce that Port Chester Village Hall and its administrative departments will open for in person, face-to-face business, and services effective 10:00 AM Monday May 17th. Thereafter most Village Hall offices shall operate on a schedule of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Although not required, we do recommend that the public consider calling first to schedule an appointment with our staff so that we may prepare to assist you in whatever capacity you need, in advance. Again, an appointment is not required to enter the building, however, some other guidance and understanding on your part will still need to be adhered to:
- Temperature testing and the wearing of masks remain mandatory for all visitors who wish to access Village Hall or the Port Chester Senior Center. Contact tracing protocol will also continue; all visitors must sign when their temperature is taken.
- All visitors must enter through the main doors of Village Hall to visit our administrative departments or through the main entrance of the senior center, located in the rear of the building, for their programming. Traveling between the two buildings through internal hallways is not permitted at this time.
- All visitors who wish to meet with staff in their offices, or conference areas, must always wear a mask; this applies to when you meet with staff inside department offices, utilize the front office counter spaces, or during any other type of face-to-face interaction that could/ would take place within an administrative office, common area, or other related indoor setting.
- All visitors who use Village Hall elevators may only ride in pairs (two people maximum) and both riders must keep their masks on while inside the cab.
- Masks must continue to be worn by all visitors while they navigate Village Hall common areas including, but not limited to, hallways, entranceways, and lavatories.
We know that new guidance is handed down each day, as of late, by county, state, and federal officials, as well as the CDC, however at this time we must continue, together, to remain vigilant in how we can each do our own part to keep the public as safe as possible when visiting municipal properties. We ask for your understanding and commitment to assisting us in keeping our properties clean and sanitary environments by acknowledging and complying with these policies.
We are hopeful that over the next few weeks and/ or months some restrictions may be lessened.
Additionally, you should be aware of a few operational changes, updates, and some other information moving forward from our village departments related to their operations and services:
- Effective Saturday May 15, 2021, the Village Justice Court is officially dissolved. The transfer of all court functions will thereafter be administered by the Town of Rye Justice Court. Starting May 17, 2021, all inquiries regarding cases before the justices, or other concerns related to parking, vehicle, traffic, civil, or criminal matters should be addressed to the attention of the Town of Rye. For more information on court operations, please contact the Rye Town Justice Court by dialing 914.939.3305.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS (DPW)
- The toter program for refuse collection continues. Beginning on Tuesday May 18, 2021, the village’s new ‘one-arm bandit’ sanitation vehicle will be on the road collecting refuse. The operation of the vehicle will continue each day as our crews become more familiar with this form of refuse collection. Your patience and understanding as we expand the program and hone its efficiency is appreciated as some collections may be performed later than usual at first. If you have any questions regarding toter use or other related matters, please contact DPW by dialing 914.939.5207.
- Until further notice, bulk pickup/ green waste will continue as scheduled. A copy of the DPW collection calendar is always available on the department’s section of the village’s website or available for download by Clicking Here.
SENIOR CENTER & SERVICES
- The Village of Port Chester Senior Center is operating six (6) days per week and offering in person lunch hours Tuesday – Saturday. The center has also been steadily increasing its scheduled programming. For updates, news, and communications from our staff on the happenings at the senior center, Click Here.
RECREATION & PARKS
- Yes, our parks are open! Make a plan to visit one of our great parks today, just remember, all activities need to adhere to the guidance presented by NY State and the CDC. Although public gatherings have increased as more people have been vaccinated, please exercise caution and maintain safe social distancing when engaging in sports and athletics.
- The Village of Port Chester will be holding Summer Camp and other activities this Summer. We can’t wait to tell you more about them, but in the meantime, you can keep up to date on what our recreation staff is planning and taking registration for, by visiting the department’s section of the village’s website by Clicking Here.
- Any use of the village’s parks or ball fields for organized events must be approved and permitted through the village’s recreation office. To inquire about how you may reserve some time on our fields or the use of our parks, email Heather Krakowski, Superintendent of Recreation, at [email protected] or call the department directly by dialing 914.939.2354.
- The Building Department can receive calls related to permits, inspections, and general inquiries at 914.939.5203. Please leave a message; messages will be monitored from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Additionally, you may email inquiries to Regina Glennon, Senior Office Assistant to the Building Department at [email protected].
- The Building Department application counter will be open to the public from Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Applications for permits can be found on the Building Department’s section of the village website or by Clicking Here. Permits can be delivered in person to the department directly or mailed to Village Hall for processing.
- A New Building Permit Fee Schedule has been adopted and is available on the Building Department’s section of the village website by Clicking Here.
- Consultations and meetings for permitting or to resolve Notices of Violations can be performed over the pone by dialing 914.939.5203. Staff will schedule an appointment for you with an inspector.
- If you wish to schedule an inspection, you can do so by dialing 914.939.5203. Staff will schedule an appointment for you with an inspector.
- If you need a Municipal Search Report, requests can be delivered in person to the department directly with a check or mailed to Village Hall for processing.
BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
- Although the Governor has extended his order permitting boards and commissions to continue to utilize online meeting platforms, some boards and commissions will be winding down their use of the Webex platform in June and transitioning to in-person meeting settings. You can get the latest information and public notices for the meetings of boards and commissions by Clicking Here.
EMERGENCY & EXECUTIVE ORDERS
- The State of Emergency that was declared in the Village of Port Chester on March 16, 2020 is hereby further extended to Sunday May 30, 2021 at 11:59.
- Parades and Processions within the Village of Port Chester continue to be suspended.
- The permit program for “Temporary Outdoor Accommodations” for our local restaurants and merchants remains in effect.
Stuart L. Rabin
Acting Village Manager
Village of Port Chester
222 Grace Church Street
Port Chester, NY 10573